Pages

Thursday, August 19, 2010

I wish I had a picture...

It all happened so fast this morning.  I didn't have time to grab my camera but do want to share with everyone my experience.

 This morning my momma, sister and I had stepped out into the hot, humid morning.  We were standing on my screened porch.  We leave the door to the porch and the back patio cracked so that the dogs and the cat can come and go freely.  Soon hubby has planned to install a pet door.  Anyways, because the door to the outside was cracked a baby hummingbird had flown onto the porch and could not find it's way back outside.  I can't tell you how long it had been trying in vain to escape but I can tell you he or she was exhausted.  I was able to pick her(lets call it a her cause we could use another girl around here)up and walk out back and let her have her freedom.  Her mother came flying down instantly, begin chatting with her.  The two of them flew around the back yard for a good 5 minutes or so before stopping to take a drink at one of the three feeders I have out back.

What an experience!  Quickly before I picked her up I thought to myself...this is one of those life moments.  How many people will get to be able to hold a hummingbird in their lifetime?  While we were stationed at Fort Huachuca(home to thousands and thousands of hummingbirds)there was a banding program on Sunday mornings during the summer.  If one wanted to, you could go and watch the catch process(net over the feeders), banding process and then were able to hold the birds before they were released.  Well, life just seemed to get in the way and next thing I knew my 3 years were up and I had missed my opportunity.  This morning I had my opportunity!!

For the record, I was very gentle while holding the bird for less than 10 seconds. 

Thanks for reading and sorry I didn't have time to get a photo.   

5 comments:

Julie Harward said...

Tjat is so wonderful...I love these moments in life, I could tell you of many I have had too! ;D

Debra Ganas said...

That is beautiful. God is so good to us.

Debra

The Inspired Nest said...

That is amazing! What a special moment. I love watching my hummingbirds!

~ Pink Flamingo ~ said...

It was meant to be, my friend... meant to be! Did you feel her heartbeat? I am so happy you had this experience! xoxo

Anonymous said...

That really is a memory to treasure. Hold a hummingbird? Wow! She was fortunate to have you there to help "her" in her time of need