Pages

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Window seat transformation

When one reaches the top of our stairs in our house you are met by:

a landing area(that is now the home of The Tattered Tassel aka my office)

a large size window

a bench seat with storage area(yeah!!)


This is what that area looked like when we purchased the house:



very nice bones but not quite right for me.



After 7 months of living here I finally got around to changing it.

Here are the after photos.(Sorry for the bad lighting)






 As you can see, Gracie the Cat, really enjoys this area.


I had the cushions recovered using curtains that I purchased at JC Penny's 8 years ago.





I purchased the pillows at an antique store in Aiken, SC.  The dealer just happened to be working in her booth that day.  She told me that she made them herself, needlework and all, and had just brought them into the store the day before.  I love them.  One has Dogwoods and the other Magnolias, not to mention the lovely red birds!  I knew when I saw them that they would be perfect for this area.  They are also reversible...



I paid $35.00 a pillow.  I know, I know not a thrifty deal but still a good deal considering the great handiwork and the fact they are reversible.  When it's right you just know it. :o)



I purchased two of these candle sconces for $7.99 each a Ross.



The candles were $5.99 each at Ross.  I realize they are tall but I will use them and they will soon fit just perfectly.



Curtain panels were purchased at Wal-Mart.  I can't remember how much they cost.  I think they are still available.

There you have it.  My new updated landing area.(Again sorry for the lighting.)

I'm linking this before and after to Susan's fun blog party, Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps
on the Porch.


Have a wonderful week!

Fondly,
Ann


11 comments:

Judy @ In His Grip said...

This is such a great change. I really like the needlepoint pillow. Super job!

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

What a wonderful area. It looks perfect for sitting, putting your feet up and reading a decorating magazine!!

Katie@LeBeauPaonVictorien said...

It looks fabulous! Great job!
I love the pillows and the face they are reversible!

Mecky said...

Oh, that looks great, Ann.
I think the pillows are well worth the money. They are very nice!

Denise said...

What a great window seat, and I love what you've done with it, those colors are beautiful. :)

La Vie Quotidienne said...

What a wonderful area to greet you when you walk up the stairs. The changes you made are super...love the rich colors. And, the pillows were really a steal ~ I know because I do needlepoint and it takes such a long time to do. These pillows are quite beautiful.

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

Your landing area turned out awesome! Great job :) Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm following you now and I hope you'll choose to do the same for more mutual blog visits. Thanks.

Atticmag said...

You did a wonderful job with your landing space. Those are always so difficult -- especially the windows. But the pillows and warm colors make it so inviting. Thanks so much for stopping by.

Boo-Bah AKA Iris said...

I think your landing area turned out beautiful I love the pillows.
I think Gracie has taken ownership of this pretty area. Cats will do this. At least mine do.

Unknown said...

I love your window seat, so wish I had somewhere to put one in my house!

Savannah Granny said...

Ann, Such a transformation! This is lovely. You have given it character and depth. Love the colors you have chosen.
The pillows were a bargain. If I had been there we would have been fighting and pulling hair. However, I glad you have these exquisite pillows on your window seat. They are perfect there, as well as the baby. Such a beautiful furry addition the charm of this area. Hugs, Ginger