Pages

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

My Summer's Thrifty Finds...

Since we made our big cross country move in June I have been completely and utterly overwhelmed.  Moving is hard business.  Not to mention I'm trying to squeeze all my worldly treasures into a much smaller home, which makes moving harder.  Then I gotta get the kids settled into their new home which means, school registration, which means doctors visits, school shopping, sports registration, and so and so on.

So, a paragraph later, what I'm trying to say is that I haven't been doing much thrifting, yard saling, auctions, or estate saling this summer.  But a couple of weeks ago I ventured out and found a few items I'd like to share.




I just adore this little "fruit stand."  I'm not sure but I believe the handles on the forks are bakelite.  Does anyone out there know??




Love this $12.00 vintage print.  It came in a nice wooden frame with many layers of nasty brown paint on it.  I'm in the process of stripping the frame and too my surprise the frame is oak. I'm thinking about the same age as the print.  Lovely old seasoned oak!  I'm thrilled.  The print, which I am sure that is what it is, is marked: Copyright 1895 By Muller Luchsinger & Co New York "Prime Fruit" and is signed J.R. Smith.




Oh how I wish that there had been four of these sweet little beauties.  But that's OK...I can still do some mean decorating with the three of these linen and rick rack trimmed napkins.  Love them, too!!


And finally, any lantern collectors out there??  A cute little glass and metal candy container...


This little candy container stands 4 1/2 inches high and is marked: USA 4oz. Candy Pellets Victory Glass Inc Jeannette, PA

Total cost for each item:
fruit stand .99
fruit print $12.00
linen napkins $1.50
candy lantern $2.00

So there you have it, the spoils of my summer!!

For those of you reading this long post that know me, just go ahead and close your mouths. Four little items is hard for me to comprehend too!   I told you it has been a busy summer and I just haven't been able to thrift like I would like to...but things are starting to settle down and fall into place(so is the dust in this house, gotta get that house cleaner situation under control) and I hope to be back out and amongst the thrifters real soon!!

I'm linking this post up to to several great blogs.  Please go and check out the fun parties and wonderful pictures.

Sue@It's A Very Cherry World for Rednesday
Leigh@ Tales From Bloggeritaville for Thrifty Thursday
Suzanne @ The Colorado Lady for Vintage Thingie Thursday


Fondly,
Ann

29 comments:

~ Pink Flamingo ~ said...

All I can do is smile... and smile and smile! xoxo

Nancy's Daily Dish said...

I love the red napkins you found! So cute! They will be fun to decorate with!

Julie Harward said...

You found some great things..I love the print! :D

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

You sure did well with your bargains, Ann. Love all the red things! Also, the meal in the previous post looked fantastic!! Linda

Denise said...

Hi Ann, thanks so much for taking the time to comment at my blog. That does sound terrible for your son but so glad he made friends after a few weeks. Kristen is doing well and today actually saw a teacher that was in her old school. The teacher was surprised and happy to see Kristen and Kristen ran over to her and gave her a hug :) She must have just transferred there this year.

Mary Ann said...

Thanks so much for stopping by and yes, we are excited, twin girls and a single boy due in Dec. I love your blog and keep up with you.

Dena E's Blog said...

Just stopping by to say hi~~~"Hi" !!!
Thinking of you Sweetie
Blessings and Hugs Dena

❀~Myrna~❀ said...

All wonderful finds !I love the napkins !
Blessings,
~Myrna

Sally Annie Magundy said...

Moving and getting resettled can be such a challenge! (I haven't moved in nearly 30 years but I still remember the agony of it teehee!) Glad you were able to squeeze in some thrifting, those are great finds. I adore your little fork set, so much fun!

Happy VTT,
Sally

LV said...

Moving is never easy. I have been here since 1964 and do not plan on going until they haul me off. Glad you gave yourslef a break and found all these vintage items.

Erma Bombeck, Where Art Thou? said...

Ann, i LOVE the red lantern looking candy container..so so cute!

Keetha Broyles said...

What an interesting little pickle fork fruit stand!

Deborah said...

Sometimes you do good thrifting and sometimes you don't but it is always so wonderful to find new treasures. Love the print and the fruit stand.

Teresa~ Gardening with Soule said...

Pretty great finds! Glad you found some time to have fun finding them.

craftyles said...

Hi Ann,
You got some cute reds and at great prices. I know there is a way to tell if those are bakelite-I'm sure you can look it up online-something to do with wetting it and the smell. I know it sounds weird. It always seems like any dinner stuff is in sets of three-I guess that's why they are at the thrift store, Anyway-mix and match.

Paulette said...

Very neat stuff! Such a cute "fruit stand" and those napkins with the rick-rack are adorable.

I am also drooling over the food in your previous post! ;)

Angela said...

Those are some great finds you found this Summer! And at some great prices too!

Have a Great Day!
Angela

reprise vintage said...

those are all great finds!

Antiques Galore Gal said...

Love it all, especially those red napkins trimmed with rick rack! Hard to resist!

Unknown said...

Well, at least you got SOME treasures this summer! Those napkins are adorable! You could always do a table for two with the third being a liner for the bread basket!

Have a wonderful day! Be sure to visit my blog for a great giveaway!

Sarah
***Visit my blog for a GIVEAWAY and new linking party!***
http://bloggingwhilewaiting.blogspot.com/2010/08/new-wednesday-party-link-up-giveway-too.html

NanE said...

Hi Ann, thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such a nice comment. Looks to me like you found some great items! I might be able to solve one mystery! The little lantern was "probably" manufactured by the Jeannette Glass Co. They made depression glass and and their items are highly collectible. You can probably google their name and see what comes up. Have a great day, Nan

Lynn said...

The print is beautiful and I love the rick rack on the napkins-have fun!

Lola said...

Great finds - love those napkins!

Have a great week,

LOLA:)
btw My Rednesday post: “Can you give me directions?” Do stop by!

Diann said...

Lots of fun finds here! Love the linens! All your finds just make me smile!

Have a great day!

Angela said...

I just adore each and every single item and I think they would be perfect in my own home, lol. You did great girl!! Those napkins made me oooh out loud!!

Nancy's Notes said...

What great finds Ann! I have to say, I love that print, it's awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for dropping in to see me!

Nancy

Lesa said...

the rickrack napkins and candy lantern are my faves! Great reds!

thanks for the visit!

Lindy said...

Great finds. Now, you know how to shop. I love the towel with the cute edging...

Unknown said...

Wow, a big move and you've already found some finds!? You're good.
Love thre little candy container.